November 30, 2003

Masayo

Currently Listening To :: By Your Side (Neptunes Remix) :: Sade

Do you think I'd leave your side, baby? You know me better than that...

Whenever I think of Taiwan, I can't help but get a little nostalgic. While I miss the days of partying and singing karaoke with strangers until wee hours of the morning, eating instant noodles with my friends on the roadside of our mountain-top hostel the morning after and doing it all again the next night, the soundtrack to my time there is filled with Taiwanese pop music. And Sade. I don't know why this is, but it just is. Sometimes it takes more than a day to recognise sunshine.

And if only, you could see into me...

Scibbled notes, third party translators, clutching at straws...

Just like the characters from Japanese Story, communication is key in any relationship. That ability to find a common ground, a level field of understanding, this is what led to an explosion of emotion, a floodgate of feelings breaking through the awkwardness of cultural and language divides. On that deep level, everything is laid bare and the social constructs of language and custom are cast aside, leaving nothing but raw emotion, with nothing to be lost, because there is nothing to be translated.

Oh..when you're cold, I'll be there to hold you tight to me...

Long walks at night, pleas for understanding, having to let go...

If your eyes are the window to your soul, then your hands are the window to your desire. There has been times when words aren't necessary, and those are those real moments between two people. Moments when their left eye looks into your right eye and your right looks into you left...and your desire to communicate transcends all else. Eyes and hands lock like hearts and minds do, a cocktail of soulful desire, intoxicating like a rush of blood, painful like a slow rope burn.

When you're on the outside baby and you can't get in...

The warmth of a tight embrace, the tenderness of a shared kiss, a letter with no reply...

Silence has always scared me. I stress communication, that connection, that 'click'; shared silence is something that I can't explain. For me there is no comfortable silence, for silence has always meant being alone, that sound you hear when someone walks away, when the phone doesn't ring, when a teardrop forms in your eye.

And if you want to cry, I'll be here to dry your eyes...

So the next time I look silently into your eyes, don't be scared, don't think I'm trying to be intrusive. I'm just searching for something that I can't say in ten thousand words, something that I can't feel in ten thousand touches. And if in that moment we both find what we're looking for, then I can turn the music off, take the phone off the hook, and let the tears fall freely from my eyes.

Because I recognise you are the sunshine of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home