October 13, 2003

Currency

Currently Listening To :: O.S.T. :: People Under The Stairs

Opening up my blog after a few day hiatus, I was shocked to see 12 messages; thanx to all the posters out there *grins*

Let's see...where to begin? No one agrees with me? Well, it's probably because most of the posters aren't really answering the question. That, or I have to set tighter parameters; but where's the fun in boundaries?

So...what can you buy for $10 that is "enduring"?

That being said, I guess you can interpret "enduring" in one of several ways. Enduring can be physical, something you can hold in your hands, feel the texture of, possess. Enduring can also be a concept of worth. While it's true that you can buy hella lot of cheap things with $10, over time, will they be enduring? If you paid $10 for a pair of jeans, would they be "worth" as much in your mind as ones that cost $10 times as much? To some yes, others, not quite so. Enduring can also be metaphysical. A memory that sits deep in the core of you, like a memorable night at a dance party, or even a ride on a pony.

Heh.

To me, enduring is a bit of all the above. However, I've also been spending my money quite freely these days. Having a steady income which doesn't leave me living hand-to-mouth is something I've never really experienced. While I haven't gone wild and buying anything that I want (yet), the cash just goes. Disappears. Poof. And with it, does my discerning taste in what I buy. Why you ask? The same reason that the state of California now has a Terminator for a Governer, Dubya wages world wide wars, and Beyonce shakes that ass. Because they can.

A conversation with a friend a while back when we both started working resulted in us realising that with said steady income and few financial anchors, we could buy nearly anything we wanted (short of anything that required legal documentation, security background checks or contracts for our souls).

While I'd like to follow Dre's lead and say that all memories that are enduring are for free, I know that these days, my money is doing the imagining for me. It's quite sad that now that I have money to spend, I use it to fuel my creativity, as opposed to using my creativity to find ways to burn my money. Something's not quite right...

Mark my words, in a few years time, I'll be having this same conversation with myself regarding $20.

"You gotta $50 bill, throw your hands up, you gotta $20 bill throw your hands up..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home