August 07, 2003

Singing To Myself

Currently Listening To // Xing Qing (Starry Mood) // Jay Chou

In honour of Jay's new album release, I decided to dig into the archives and find the lyrics to this gem. While I was studying Chinese (especially in Taiwan), I loved to translate my favourite songs. I'd spend hours buried in my headphones and dictionary, slowly uncovering the loving, losing, longing and emotions hidden behind the language barrier I was contantly peeking through. In this way I not only learned common characters, but it also gave me even more songs to belt out at karaoke *grin*.

To me, there's something so simple yet so beautiful about some Chinese songs. And while I can get the gist of most songs, for those who can't understand Mandarin, listening to me croon a tune can probably be quite boring. Part of me often I feels like I should be singing something that people can get into, something everyone can enjoy. The other part of me just wants a chance to sing a song out loud that holds a special place in my heart; my own make-believe romance; me indulging my Mando-pop star tendencies.

So in attempts to bridge that cultural and microphone time gap, here is the translation for anyone who was wondering what a good Chinese ballad sounds like and means. Look for it at select karaoke sessions with Ben near you.


Starry Mood (Xin Qing)

Riding the wind
Drifting by the blue sky
A cloud drops down in front of me
Morphs into your shape
Follows me with the wind
Eating away sorrow mouth by mouth

Being with you is like being with sunshine
No matter where I go it's blue skies
Butterflies fly freely
Flowers fill the sky
Each blossom fragrant just for you
Let the setting sun take flight
Taking us on a grand tour of nature
With the wind
We start to spend every day together

Hand in hand, one step, two steps, three steps, four steps,
gazing at the sky
Looking at the stars, one star, two stars, three stars, four stars, threaded together

Standing back to back
Silently making a wish
Seeing if the distant stars can hear
If the distant stars do hear,
It will definitely come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home