April 07, 2003

The Passion

Currently Listening To :: A Woman's Worth :: Alicia Keys

I went to uni this afternoon to pick up my academic dress for my graduation ceremony tomorrow. I still can't believe that I'm actually going to be one of those people in the black gowns, the back hats, with people in tow with (big) cameras. For so long, I've always wondered what it would be like to come from work, all suited up, looking like you're going somewhere, when mentally I'm still in the same place.

Bumping into people at uni is always a treat, but I was especially happy to see an old mate Tom. Starting Uni together, I met Tom on one of my first days at Uni, in fact on one of the campus tours if I remember correctly. We got along pretty well, and it turned out that Tom was doing the same course as me, which was (and still is) a rarity. I always feel a certain affinity with Com/Arts students, because really, there is no real reason to do both degrees except for interest. Those looking to climb the corporate ladder first wouldn't bother with Arts, while "real" Arts students wouldn't be caught dead studying Commerce. It's passion that drives you to learn something more than just how to earn money.

Talking to Tom today, he told me that he had deferred graduating to go to Canada; of all reasons, to follow a girl who had captured his heart. The way he spoke about her was filled with such enthusiasm, and I could tell that he had absolutely no regrets about turning down a great job, and putting his future on hold...all on a chance. Speaking about his honours course, his plans for the future, I couldn't help but be intoxicated by his self-confidence, something I've been lacking of late.

Watching Channel [V] tonight, I managed to catch a special on Ms. Keys. I don't think I've ever really noticed how stunning she can be...and so charming too. Disarming is what I call it. But listening to the interview snippets, I was really impressed by what she said; how she loves her music, her piano, the ideas that drives her music style. While working in PR has made me increasingly sceptical about what people actually believe and what they are just saying to move units, ultimately I think that for most things, people are going to believe what they want to believe. But if you show an integrity and passion that is undeniable, people will recognise it, and the work you do, as real.

So sitting here, sipping my tea and just listening, I've realised that I need to do exactly what I told a friend to do a while back. I need to get into a positive frame of mind. I need to strive for what I want to do, and not handcuff my whole life to just one facet. In short, I need to re-passion. I need to get back to what I'm passionate about.

That's why I'm applying for these Government jobs. That's why I'm practicing my Wushu. That's why I'm still writing. And that's why I'm still searching.

Because it's what I'm passionate about.

And that's what's real to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home