November 17, 2002

All Trains Of Thought Start With A Stop

Currently Listening To :: As :: Stevie Wonder

It's been a really relaxing weekend, just doing a lot of sleeping and reading. I still have one exam to go, but it's been a long week, so I'll start that tomorrow...

Sitting alone in the subway station on Friday night, I was determined to finish a book that was lent to me; trying to catch a train out my way on a Friday after 7pm is impossible, so I settled on the bench and read.

However, try as I might, I just couldn't concentrate, so much to the point that I had to stand up and walk around, fidgety as all hell. Maybe it was the number of coffees I'd had that day, maybe its me just trying to wean myself from smoking, or maybe I've been so used to rushing around and getting stuff done that to be forced to wait, to have life slowed down for you was something I just wasn't used to. Looking at the screen, my train wasn't even listed in the next half an hour.

Forcing myself to sit and read, I finished the book, but instantly regretted it, as I reaslised I had nothing left to do...I wasn't in the mood to listen to music (if you can believe that), and I definitely wasn't about to read the other book in my bag.

So I sat...too tired to stand the artificial sight my glasses gave me, I took them off. Despite the bluriness, I felt like I could see clearer in ways without them; perhaps because I was using my own eyes and not someone else's vision to help me see. There, amid the stale subway air, a mix of train fumes, fried food and sweat, I did something I haven't done in a long time.

I started to write.

Stopping only to get on the train, by the time I stopped, I had written almost a whole page of thoughts; points that somehow flowed in only a strange way that I could understand, connections so odd that looking back on them, I'm not even sure how I made them.

Whiling away these Sunday hours, I'm not sure if I feel like writing, so I'll go the lazy route. Here are some of the photos stolen from Riss' digicam; she was so nice to scan them for me! Just some of the sights from my soon-to-be alma mater...the Uni of New South Wales.



View from the bottom of the Scientia...




And the view from the top...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home