November 03, 2002

Sunday Heat

Currently Listening To :: High Fidelity :: Jurassic 5

Picked up this album last week before I flew out to Malaysia, but didn't really get to listen to it until I got home; popping the disk in the car, this track stayed on repeat for nearly 5 or 6 revolutions...just like ?uestlove of the Roots Crew, I've always thought that the sign of a great song is where you can remember exactly where and when you heard it for the very first time. And today this is a rarity for me...can you remember when was the last time that happened to you?

Not one to state the obvious, but I'm back from Malaysia after just a quick weekend jaunt. Memories still fresh in my mind, I can't wait to get back there at the end of the year. While some people question why I love Malaysia so much, I always tell them that to me, Malaysia will always be a holiday destination. Ever since I was a child, the feeling of the humidity draping you as you step off the plane has meant only one thing; it's time to cut loose.

The crazy traffic, the smog, the extreme AC, the heady cocktail of East and West...I feel at home, like I've never left. Eating sweet bread and milo with condensed milk for breakfast with my cousins, nothing feels more natural. Picking up my backpack and going mall hopping in search of obscure fashion and cheap data on plastic is second nature. Sitting on my cousins porch, drinking Heinekans and smoking Dunhills with my uncle while the sun sets is the epitomy of an easy afternoon. The day cooling down as dusk falls, the Islamic call to prayer reverberating in the background, heralding the beginning to the nights fun...feasting on hawker stall food from greasy stalls, tiger beer is a must, and the night isn't complete without a game of Blackjack; Malaysian rules of course.

But now I'm back in the dry heat of Sydney, I've been trying to concentrate on my end of session work, yet at the same time soaking up the feeling of finally finishing up university. I thought final session was time to relax; I've been dreaming. Things have been hectic more than ever, and I've been stressed more than ever. I've started smoking again, and I know I need to stop...can my hands stop shaking? *sigh*

Oh, I had an exam for a Fairfax Editorial Traineeship on Friday...I didn't mention it because I didn't want to stress out over it too much; they only take in about 15 people out of the 150 people taking the test, and if it's one thing I now know, it's that I need to get better at writing under pressure WITHOUT a computer. No cutting and pasting paragraphs on paper...still, everyone at the Blitz end of year dinner seemed impressed that I'd actually made it to the exam stage. Who am I to be ungrateful? I only applied after my editor virtually forced me to, so I guess the effort paid off in a way.

It's a beautifully blazing day outside, and I still have work to do *sigh*

Lunch break is over, so back to it; not long to go now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home