August 07, 2002

Picture This

Currently Listening To :: The PJ's :: Wyclef Jean

Been away for a minute...sorry about that.

Things are changing, but then you knew that right? Decided I needed a bit of colour on my site, so I threw up a pic for people who wonder if I'm still alive. Yep, I'm still here.

I spent the morning at Governer Macquaire Tower in the city, in the Office of the Premier of New South Wales. While I didn't get to say wassup to Bob, I did get to set out my internship with the Arts Policy Adviser. So for the rest of session, I'll be in the city one day a week helping out with some of the policy initiatives within the Arts portfolio. With the upcoming State election, this is a really good time to be there, with the various portfolio's about to put forwad their proposals. I feel I can get something useful done, so first I have to pick about 3 cultural institutions, and focus from there.

Having lunch today with some close friends, a bomb was dropped. Now, I don't know about you, but when my dad actually sits me down to talk, I know it's something important. But when BOTH my parents sit me down and want to "talk to me" about something, it's some serious ish. So when it happens to someone else, I know how important it is.

Cutting to the chase, we're talking about girlfriends/boyfriends, and how our parents views on them can affect our own views on them. Normally, liking someone is just that; it's about the two of you in a relationship. But as we're starting to get a little older, the people we bring home to meet the parental figures take on different meanings. All of a sudden, it's no longer about if you like them...Do your parents like them? Other questions start to pop up too. Will they make a good spouse? A good parent? Do they have a good career? Some direction?

Now I'm not saying you should never bring home your new squeeze, but with this kind of pressure...it's like the essense of relationships is changing, or perhaps it's just a realisation of something we've known all along.

Is this the death of romance as we know it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home