July 07, 2002

Border's, Booty and Boundaries...

Currently Listening To :: Take A Message :: Remy Shand

Standing in Border's this afternoon mellowing out to this track, I had a near epiphany. Here was a brand new artist that I'd found, with a "cool" clip I'd managed to spy on Channel {V}, with a vibe that I was really feelin'. Laid back grooves, falsetto vocals and some real ability (apparently he does most of the instruments and producing). But yet, in a moments clarity, I placed the less than full price CD back on the shelf, and here I am streaming his lead track VERY slowly down my 56k wire.

So where did things go wrong in between the shelf and the cash register? Was it the fact that I've recently caved in on my anti rap-rock streak, and so was trying to put a front up against giving in to my random, whimsical music purchases? Perhaps I am trying to maintain a degree of musical purchasing integrity myself, for fear that this track, while incredibly infectious, may one day lead to someone scanning my CD collection and saying, you BOUGHT this CD? in much the same way that I react (violently) when I find a Michael Bolton CD (and to a lesser extent, anything by Simply Red) in someone else's music collection. It's not like I'm chastising people for buying, and hey, I admit I like his stuff (now), but in the vein of Chris Rock's amusing breakdown of the OJ Simpson case, I'm not saying that you should have bought it, but I understand...

In honour of my good friend Di's imminent departure for a sunnier climate and total lifestyle change by taking up a job in Vietnam, my friends and myself successfully completed a clubing double header, getting our groove on at the RnB Super Club at City Live, Fox Studios on friday night, followed by our move to the club with apparently the "largest mailing list in all of Sydney" (not that that really matters) at Broadway on Saturday night. I'm not sure if it was the crowd, the night before, or just the fact that there were various subplots and missing parties in play, but City Live is my pick of the bunch. Still, I can't say I didn't have fun, even though I spent this morning paying the price feeling the effects of the lack of sleep and the scotch of the nights activities.

Unlike some, it doesn't really feel like university holidays to me, apart from the fact that I don't have to haul ass to uni tomorrow to get to my weekly 9am Blitz meeting. Strangely enough I will be at uni tomorrow anyway; with Wu-Shu class on tomorrow night, I figured I might as well try to get a hair-cut and do some writing/work in advance. With this time to write, I'll be looking to push myself a little more, and hopefully come with some more consistent and interesting work...

If it's one thing I hate, I hate to be rushed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home