February 07, 2002

Twice In A Lifetime

Currently Listening to :: Twice Inna Lifetime :: Blackstar w/Punch, Words, & Jane Doe

"Im an old, superstitious Arab, and I believe in our proverbs. There's one that says, 'Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time.'" From Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist

A few weeks ago, I mentioned how I lost an entry to a short story contest that I was really determined to enter. Now we all lose something (or someone) once in a while, but...All the thoughts and ideas I had had, the start of the story, were all for nothing without that entry slip in the magazine. I was so upset with myself for not having the foresite to take the slip out, to keep it safe; I took it for granted that it would always be around...until my mother threw it away.

On a trip back home from my TAFE enrollment (I'm doing Chinese...level 3 out of 6, so hopefully I can remember something!!), I felt like dropping by the newsagents, hoping to find a new copy of EastMag, or something else interesting. Guess what I found instead? Yep, a the new issue of HQ, with another entry form. So I've begun writing again, and yes, I'm keeping that entry form safe from anything that might happen.

Taking things for granted is something that we all do; acclimatisation I think the word is. Never knowing what we have until we lose it, never realising what was there until she left, never enjoying the moment until it's in the past.

Why do I find it so hard to say what I'm feeling at the time? To voice my thoughts? Others seem to find it so easy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home