January 28, 2002

The Now Sound of My Mind

Currently Listening to :: Samba da Bencao :: Bebel Gilberto

I've been sitting in front of a computer so much these days, it's a wonder I can even blog this right now. Working how to use Macs can be a bit frustrating at first for a very PC person like myself, but it's slowly coming...working how to use Photoshop and Quark Xpress at the same time has also been kewl; the learning process has been tiring, yet at the same time exciting. Compared to writing I'm teetering on baby steps, but it's great getting that creative buzz with designing pages.

On the social side of things, I was at a friends combined farewell/21st birthday party at this place called the T-Bar on King Street in the city. Nice place, and with the dress code as dressy, I thought turning up a bit late would be okay...little did I know everyone else had the same plan, so when I turned up half an hour late, I found the place still near empty. Am I missing something? Is half and hour no longer fashionably late? Or do more people run on ADPT (Asian Dance Party Time) than I thought?

Either way, it was a nice night. Saw some friends who I don't normally see, and met some people who I didn't expect to meet! This world is getting smaller by the weekend...and Mooka, if you're reading this, I can't seem to find your site! Mail me the addy, and keep on blogging! Some friends and I had a mini-movie marathon at Kev's house, watching Black Hawk Down, The One and Oceans Eleven.Quick rundown: B.H.D. - solid flick, yet at the end, they make it plainly obvious that the death of over a thousand Somalians is almost but not quite equivalent to the the death of 19 US troops; as a friend pointed out, Somalia didn't make the movie. The One If making Buddhist movies means he'll stop making these types of movies, I can't wait to see Jet Li's first non-violent flick. O-11 Slick, slick, slick. I didn't get the ending tho...but did I mention it was slick?

Hmmm...reading the news of late has been so depressing, that I've been trying to stay away from it, but in some sort of sick, twisted way, I can't help but read more and more. Enron. Woomera Refugees.

"A real Australian is by my definition an immigrant. Our ancestors had no idea where they were, and it seems to me that they have much in common with the frightened people in Woomera,'' Peter Carey, a New York-based Australian writer.

Media bans meant to "protect" detainees? Reporters arrested? What the hell is going on? Meanwhile, the Enron situation is reading more and more like a trashy novel that's got me hooked. Sex and lies, enough lawsuits to fill a season of The Practice, and let's not forget a dash of death either.

I've often wondered why the news is always so negative. I mean, it's not like our lives are so good that we need something to balance us. I'm beginning to think that it's because we either want to feel secure in the knowledge that there are people worse off than us, or we are just suckers for a sensationalism. Maybe we can't help ourselves.

Maybe it's just the truth.

But don't mind me...I'm rambling...Post. Publish. Shut Down. Sleep....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home