January 03, 2004

The Izness

Currently Listening To :: Stoplayin :: Musiq

Lot's been goin' on, which sadly means a lack of time to think about my resolutions for the year. But to be honest, I think I've got a few nailed down already, so...baby steps, baby steps. But first a lil'-mini-recap.

-------

Melbourne is a cool city, but then I've always thought that. But as the green grass on the other side would have it, I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed. Granted, you get out what you put in, and spending two and a half days to get to reknow and relearn a city is just plain ambitious. Or setting yourself up for disappointment.

Two great films I've seen lately: Infernal Affairs and Lost In Translation. I don't often watch a film twice, but for the former, there are two sequels, and for the latter, it was a real pleasure to see again (which Bill Murray movie can I honestly say that about?) So while these types of films may be an aquired taste for those, I can't recommend them enough, be your tastes bohemian or not.

Oh, and Scarlett Johannson? Maaaan....



Speaking of movies, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King is a loooong movie, so long in fact I had to spell it with four o's. Not to take anything away from the majestic scenery, the oft gripping scenes and the great CGI work, but in my opinion, there was a little too much hobbit frollicking, not enough character development and the ending was waaaay long, so long in fact that...well, you know. But, as Caveh Zahedi said,

Truffaut always said that the best scripts don't make the best films, because they have that kind of literary narrative frame that you're sort of a slave to. The best films are the ones that aren't tied to that slavishly. So I don't know. That whole narrative thing just seems to cinema like time is to music. You don't first think of the story of the song, and then make the song. It has to come out of that moment.

Or, as Caveh calls it, the "Holy Moment".

---------

In less than about 8 hours, I'll be back at work again. So will most of you; some haven't stopped work, some haven't started, but in the O-Z, 5th of Jan means back to the grindstone.

So...any New Years Resolutions people care to share?

No? Then get back to work you trained monkeys!

P.S. Thousand apogolies for the lack of pictures...but my picture site as decided to go all commercial on me and start charging for hosting; anyone know of any free picture sites with public URLS?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home