July 24, 2003

Brighter Day

Currently Listening To // Why Georgia // John Mayer

I can’t believe I’m doing this...by the time you read this, this will be an “old” blog. That is, I’ve probably written this at least a few days ago, but for the fact that my computer is just not working, I can’t even blog this. Did that make any sense?

I didn’t think so.

So here I am, using a word processor to blog about my own thoughts. Kinda “Doogie Howser’-esque right? Not really. Why? Because Doogie Howser never knew about the Internet.

It’s only been a few days, but since starting my new job, I have no regular computer contact, let alone regular office hours. Which means I’m having to use my home PC for all my net needs, but since something is conspiring against me, my PC just won’t do as it’s told. Just ask Larissa. That being said, the problem will hopefully be fixed by this weekend. In the meantime, I’m dying here.

So back to the matter of my new job; after last weeks conference at Wiseman’s Ferry (where I was one of the youngest and surrounded by women older than my mother who smoked and drank more than most of my friends), this is my first week on the job for real with Unilever. How do I feel? I feel great about it. I’m loving the work, despite the irregular hours and early starts and all. But the best part of it? I get my own company car.

Sure it’s a lounge on wheels, it’s bright red, and parking is similar to trying to park a semi-trailer. But it goes (very) fast, has a CD player, and I don’t pay a cent to maintain or upkeep it; if I wanted to drive out to Penrith and back, I could (and have). There’s no sweeter feeling than cruising down the M4 Highway, the CD player on loud and the wind in my face. It makes me feel so free, so very free…

So what is it I do you ask? Well, I could give you the six page official job description, but let’s start with the title; for at least the next six to twelve months, I’m a Customer Representative. After that, I’ll hopefully move back to head office and become a cubicalised desk jockey again.

Yeah, but what do you DO?

My job is to learn about and grow the business. I ensure our products are where they should be, with as many facings (spaces) on the shelves as possible, so people will see them and (hopefully) buy them. The more products are sold, the more orders for our products, and the more NPS we make. That’s Net Profit from Sales, for those who were wondering (as opposed to “Never Pay for Sex”, as clarified early on during my first day). Growing the business is about gaining a greater NPS.

If there’s an opportunity, my job it to take it. If there is a complaint, my job is fix it. If there is a product to be pushed, then I’m your pusher man. My office is your Woolworths, Franklins, Coles and IGA Supermarkets.

In short, I sell goods for a living.

Fast moving consumer goods.

And right now, I’m loving it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home