May 06, 2002

Bleaaah...

Currently Listening To :: Pieces Of A Man :: Gil Scott Heron

I'm still feeling the lack of sleep from the weekend. Friday night, didn't sleep until 4:30am. Saturday night, didn't sleep until 4am. Sunday, slept at about 1:30am. Not that I'm complaining, because celebrating the birthday of good friends is always a pleasure. Still, I'm going to make this short and sweet...

Today started off with Ben thinking he left his mobile phone at home. I panicked, can you believe that? The thought of going the whole day without my mobile actually got me worked up in the car. Then I found it under my bag, and with the touch of a few buttons, everything was right in my world again. Quite sad actually...

Next, I walk into work for my weekly Blitz meeting, and my editor is fuming about the Womyn's Guild on campus telling how they were offended by last weeks issue of Blitz. Never one to hold back, Karen proceeded to give them a verbal once over, and that put things even worse for the day. The rest of the day sorta blended into walking up and down campus. I really need to do some work, if last Friday's midsession is any indication.

Still, there were highlights. Firstly, there was the tall hot chocolate I had (seemingly banal, but it's my comfort drink). Second, Wushu tonight was just what I needed, a chance to get some exercise, clear my mind, and take my mind of things I also met up with Miss Riss today for a while at uni, and over a stick of candy floss for anti-diet day (not that I'm on one or anything), we got to know the people behind the words and HTML (well, the HTML is mainly on Riss's site. Man, imagine what I could do with a scanner, webcam, and some hours to learn...). And dude, though she may wear surf brands sometimes and rep's the Shire, she one hella kewl sista. Hee!

Was on the okayplayer.com boards last night, and come across an interesting post from mellow...

You know when celebrities crash and/or burn, usually it's because of some hidden issue that's been magnified because of their status? Well a friend of mine gave a really good theory as to why someone like gil scott heron has seemed to fall on hard times.She was saying how people like gil scott who are passionate and very aware of the ill's of society and the world take a lot of things to heart. Just looking back at the catalogue he's released and his infamous performances, you can see his insight.

She just stated, when you try to be pro-active and have an impact on people, then time continues on and things pretty much still stay the same, it may be very discouraging to people and they may lose hope...even someone like a gil scott heron. Probably more so someone like him, too much deep thinking may have turned to depression, which turns to release and escape (artificial escape or not).

I admire gil scot for what he's done. I hope he has someone who can help him in his time of need. We're not all supermen in this life.

I like that...scary, but it does give a good view on things. Disappointment even after you pour your heart and soul into something is probably the worst feeling in the world...

Okay, I'm done. I need to get my sleep on...I'm out like summertime sunshine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home