April 09, 2002

Sydney old boys' only lesson is racial intolerance

Currently Listening To :: The 6th Sense :: Common

The revlution will not be televised...today, print is the weapon. For those who held their breath, I appluad you; they printed the letter in the SMH today, along with this article. We are not alone Riss, we are not alone.

So the members of the Sydney Boys High's old boy union ("Good old boys push to keep Sydney High in the family", Herald, April 6-7) are calling for more balance in the school intake because "year 7 is currently 90 per cent Asian". Aside from its implicit racist overtones, this push, when taken to its logical conclusion, is illogical and self-defeating because the school will, over time, become either academically non-selective or more "Asian", since their siblings, sons and grandsons will be able to attend the school - unless, of course, the rules will be changed again to allow only "non-Asian" siblings, sons and grandsons.

David Leung, Alfords Point, April 7.


On a different note, I realised today I screwed my first assessment of the year. _sigh_ No matter how long I've been at uni, I still get so angry at myself over these things. Why can't I just take stock and move on? Well, there's still another 90% to be had...positive thinking, postitive thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home