March 28, 2002

Understanding A Changing Home

Currently Listening To :: The Next Movement (Live) :: The Roots

Following on from yesterday's post, I'm quite intrigued by the findings of that article. Gone are the days when you walked around a suburb and didn't see anyone like you. For ethnic people like me, it's now more a case of walking around a suburb and not seeing anyone who DOESN'T look like me!

Seriously though, what does this mean? "Two Australias?" Is there really a cultural divide as is stated? I'm not sold. But from what I can tell from these excerpts, it seems to me as if colour lines are being redrawn again. It goes on to talk about the divide between cities? Drifting native born Australians out of Sydney?

Hmm...perhaps Sydney and Melbourne will turn into one big ghetto where ethnic immigrants congregate. Or maybe it'll turn out to be a Singapore-esque situation with relative harmony despite several diverse ethnic groups. But like someone pointed out to me the other day, Australia is SO diverse compared to a lot of other countries. Places like Singapore have a few dominant ethnic groups, but Australia only has one dominant group, with lots and lots of little groups...

I guess this is an issue that has been building a while now. How the government will handle this is debatable, but I think that this is the start of a new era, one where cultural diversity will reach new levels of acceptance and understanding among all of us. And besides, the report mentions the Australian born population, not specifically the Anglo population. There will be always be Australian born people moving out of Sydney and Melbourne. In the future they just won't all be white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home