April 03, 2002

Ben Is Dreaming

Currently Listening To :: Ke Ai Nu Ren :: Zhou Jie Lun (Jay Chow)

Sorry to steal the title from Andre's post, but after last night...

I went to see a showing of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead last night at the Sydney St. Theatre in Erskenville. After getting lost in Newtown's one way streets (a seeming prerequisite every time I go there), and finding the difference between Railway Parade (an alley so tight that if the car broke down there, we couldn't have opened the doors) and Railway Street, we still got there with time to spare! It was a great production, but what was really got me was the seating arrangements. There was no fixed seating, and we sat on cushions on the ground. The stage shifted every scene by having us get up and move to a different area of the theatre (which was one room), and the size, lighting and audience made the whole experience interactive and intimate.

Finishing at 10:30, there was no time for dinner...apple and caramel pancakes had to do; black sesame icecream isn't as bad as I thought either _grin_ Not a late night last night, I was in bed at about 1:30am.

I woke up at 3:30am, desperately craving something sweet. Strange. Somehow finding a mini can of Pepsi in the pantry that wasn't there yesterday, I tried to down it, but the harder I tried, the harder it became. After cradling it for what seemed like half an hour, I finished it, and somehow found two Viking Bars that I am sure were also not there when I last looked. Curiouser and curiouser...

I could have sworn my phone beeped twice in the night...I remember checking the screen to see if the display were solid colours. They were not. When I woke up this morning, the phone was off. I was tempted to switch the lights on and off really quickly when I got up, but I'm not that worried...yet.

Memories and dreams are something I've been thinking about lately. From seeing Waking Life, finishing reading Haruki Muramami's South of the Border, West of the Sun, last nights play and supposed REM, they all have me writing. Where is the permanence in our lives? In the memories we have? In the objects we own? But say we forget these memories, or lose these objects that remind. What then? What's to prove that what we THINK we remember, did in ACTUALITY happen? Sure you could ask the person or people who you shared the memory with...but I kid you not, this is the second time I'm typing this post. The first time, my comp crashed, and I lost all I'd written. If I decided to not re-write this, who would remember what I'd written besides me...and what if I forgot? If this blog disappears for some reason, what then?

It's like the whole tree falling in a forest theory again. Only this time, the trees may or may not be listening...

But...what if the trees forget too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home