October 29, 2001

Currently listening to: A Tribe Called Quest - Stressed Out

I lost my ring today.

You know, the swirly one that covers almost my whole little finger? I don't know what it is with me these last few weeks, but I lost my bracelet as well. Now this isn't the first time I've lost stuff like that (as my mother was quick to remind me), and if anyone goes to UNSW and finds a ring in CLB 8...actually no. I take that back. Honestly. I really don't mind that I've lost it at all. I sat there on the bus, thought about it for a minute, and then went...whatever. The last time this happened, I retraced all my steps at uni (ahhh...so much work!) until I couldn't go any more, and eventually found it. And this ring was hella kewl; I found it at the Jade market in Taipei.

So why the sudden change of heart? I'm not sure...my apathy to what I own is something new. Things like my ring, bracelet, stuff like that, I think one of the main reason why I liked them so much was because they made me feel different. Special almost. Something to make me 'stand apart' Where I got that link from, I'm not sure...I guess that even though I've always been a bit different from my surroundings, I've gone from trying to hide and blend in to purposely make myself stand out. Doing things to accentuate my Asianess if you will...

Now I'm thinking that my ethnicity is something I can never hide, and does accentuating things about myself make me any more special? Does it make me any more Asian? Of course not...I guess I'm just realising that I should stop stressing about metal links, and worry more about my mental links...

At least I won't get mistaken for having a girlfriend anymore...*smile*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home