April 17, 2005

1983

Currently Listening To :: Living For The City :: Stevie Wonder

So it's 6:15 on a Friday night, I'm drinking a brew, and I should be out and about, but I'm in front of my computer at work. Although I know I should be doing something more then blogging, I figured it'd been a while, plus no one else is here.

Did I mention it's Friday night?!? Fuck! I little slack needs to be cut doesn't it??

While some have said that work has become my life, I see it more like riding a wave. I've worked enough jobs to know that no matter how much you love a job initially, the honeymoon will end eventually, and it's rarely up to you as to when and where the well dries up.

In short, work hard, live harder, sleep when you can, and don't forget to take the "me" time in every day.

A friend who has recently gone to live and work in the UK told me when we said our goodbyes "Struggle for what you want". This last year or so has made me forget what it's been like to struggle. The anguish of missing out of jobs at the last interview have been replaced by the wonders of working in a huge marketing company. The loneliness of singledom are a memory. I suddenly have some money in my pocket, even if I only see less then half of it every month. And that's after tax, what with the albatross that is my mortgage.

The cleaners are the only people here I think; they look at me like I am a stray child, with puzzlement and pity, not sure what to do with me. I just lift my feet as they vacuum around me.

Another good friend and I were wondering exactly how we became so grown up without us even noticing it. Last time I blinked, we were still in high school, wondering what the "real" world would bring us. Fame and fortune? Mortgages and matrimony? Love and languishing? Such concepts were the thing of tomorrow, yet over a few beers we realised that these were the things of now. What was even more scary was how real some of these things were.

So now it's 6:30, and I still have the same amount of work to do. The vacuums have faded down the coridor, my beer is empty, and I feel drunk on fatigue yet high on alcohol. As my fingers tap on, I keep thinking...I really should have taken another beer before they shut the fridge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home